How To Check Your Prostate
This article was co-authored by Robert Dhir, MD. Dr. Robert Dhir is a board certified Urologist, Urological Surgeon, and the Founder of HTX Urology in Houston, Texas. With over 10 years of experience, Dr. Dhirs expertise includes minimally-invasive treatments for enlarged prostate , kidney stone disease, surgical management of urological cancers, and mens health . His practice has been named a Center of Excellence for the UroLift procedure, and is a pioneer in non-surgical procedures for ED using his patented Wave Therapy. He earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Georgetown University and was awarded honors in pre-medical studies, urology, orthopedics, and ophthalmology. Dr. Dhir served as chief resident during his urological surgical residency at University of Texas at Houston / MD Anderson Cancer Center in addition to completing his internship in general surgery. Dr. Dhir was voted Top Doctor in Urology for 2018 to 2019, one of the top three Best Rated Urologists in 2019 & 2020 for Houston Texas, and Texas Monthly has named him to the 2019 & 2020 Texas Super Doctors Rising Stars list.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has 11 testimonials from our readers, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,025,150 times.
Pde5 Inhibitors: Viagra Levitra And Cialis
Approved by the FDA in 1998, sildenafil revolutionized the way we think about and treat erectile dysfunction, largely because it is so easy to use and effective. Since then the FDA has approved three closely related drugs, vardenafil , avanafil and tadalafil .
All four drugs work in a similar fashion, by affecting the normal physiology of the penis. In particular, they block PDE5, an enzyme that breaks down the erection-producing chemical cyclic guanosine monophosphate. This enables the penis to fill with blood and to stay erect long enough for intercourse. Of course, its important to realize that none of these drugs is an aphrodisiac. Youve got to feel sexually stimulated in order for them to work.
The main differences between the drugs have to do with timing: how quickly they begin to work, and how long their effects last . Levitra may start working slightly faster than Viagra although the FDA says that like Viagra, it should be taken about an hour before sexual activity. Some studies suggest that Levitra may help some men who dont respond to Viagra. And while some doctors are skeptical about this claim, theres no harm in trying Levitra or Cialis if Viagra doesnt work for you.
Cialis has also been approved to treat men with both erectile dysfunction and BPH. The dose is lower, usually 5 milligrams per day.
What Is The Life Expectancy Of A Man With Prostate Cancer
The life expectancy of a man with prostate cancer is favorable. Most of the aged men detected of prostate cancer die of other comorbidities. The life expectancy is as follows:
- Almost 100% of men who have early-stage prostate cancer will survive more than 5 years after diagnosis.
- Men with advanced prostate cancer or whose cancer has spread to other regions have lesser survival rates. About one-third will survive for 5 years after diagnosis.
The longer-term survival rates for early-stage prostate cancer include:
- The relative 10-year survival rate is 98%.
- The relative 15-year survival rate is 96%.
Also Check: Bladder Recovery After Prostate Surgery
Early Stage Prostate Cancer
If the cancer is small and localized, a doctor may recommend:
Watchful waiting or monitoring
The doctor may check PSA blood levels regularly but take no immediate action.
Prostate cancer grows slowly, and the risk of side effects may outweigh the need for immediate treatment.
A surgeon may carry out a prostatectomy. They can remove the prostate gland using either laparoscopic or open surgery.
Brachytherapy: A doctor will implant radioactive seeds into the prostate to deliver targeted radiation treatment.
Conformal radiation therapy: This targets a specific area, minimizing the risk to healthy tissue. Another type, called intensity modulated radiation therapy, uses beams with variable intensity.
Treatment will depend on various factors. A doctor will discuss the best option for the individual.
Symptoms Of Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer, especially in its early stages, often doesnt have any symptoms. Symptoms usually appear as the cancer grows. Those can include:
- Difficulty starting to urinate.
- Dribbling after you finish urinating.
- A need to urinate often, especially at night.
- Pain during urination.
- Blood in the urine or semen.
- Difficulty having or maintaining an erection.
- Pain with ejaculation.
- Pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips, pelvis, and upper thighs.
- Unplanned weight loss and/or loss of appetite.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Pain Does Prostate Cancer Cause
What Is External Prostate Massage
An external prostate massage is the process of massaging the prostate gland from outside the body. This can be an effective alternative to a prostate massager that you insert into your backside.
With an external prostate massager nothing is inserted into the body. There is no need for messy lubricants, and you can be fully clothed with this form of prostate massage.
You sit on the external prostate massager, rather than insert a prostate massager into your body. This is the easiest way get an effective and stimulating external prostate massage. Its that easy.
With this form of prostate massage, you get light to medium pressure to give your prostate gland and perineum a therapeutic prostate massage.
One of the most frequently asked questions is Does External Prostate Massage Hurt? Click here to find out why thousands of men are turning to external prostate massage.
You May Like: Does Cialis Shrink The Prostate
Are You At Risk For Prostate Cancer
Here are the risk factors which make you more susceptible to prostate cancer.
- If people in your family have had prostate cancer or breast cancer then you have a higher chance of having prostate cancer.
- The chances of developing prostate cancer increases as you age. Prostate cancer seldom affects young men. It is more common in older men.
- If you are an African American male, then you have a higher chance of developing prostate cancer. Men in some races are more prone to prostate cancer than others.
- Sometimes it is the genetic changes that occur in your body that can lead to you becoming more prone to having prostate cancer.
- Research shows that those men who do not get enough vitamin D may be at a higher risk of having prostate cancer than other men.
- If you are obese, then your chances of developing prostate cancer are increased manifold. Mostly, obese mens prostate cancer is tougher to treat.
- Some studies have reported that men who eat high-fat dairy products and red meat more often are more likely to develop prostate cancer.
You May Like: Is Asparagus Good For Prostate Cancer
How The Giver Should Prepare
If youre the one planning to do the fingering, there are some things youll need to do in preparation. The simple, but most important ones are to make sure your nails are trimmed and youre not wearing any jewellery, like rings. This is not just for your benefit but for theirs too.
The anus needs a little more care than fingering a vagina. This is because, although its perfectly safe to explore anal play, the lining of the anus is more delicate and susceptible to injury. Trimming nails and removing jewellery reduces the risk of internal scratches.
Also, check your fingers over to make sure you dont have any scratches or cuts, yourself. Even with proper prep, all sex involves a transfer of bacteria, and this is even more likely with anal play. Trust me, you really dont want to get anything nasty in an open wound.
Some people also like to create a barrier between their finger and their partners anus by using a condom or a small latex sheath called a finger cot. It is by no means necessary to do this, but it can be beneficial for a few reasons.
Firstly, if the giver does have a cut on their hand, this is a great way of protecting it from any nasties. Secondly, youre going to need a long-lasting lube for this sort of play as the anus doesnt self-lubricate like a vagina. The best lubricant to use is a thick water-based anal lube, but this can begin to absorb into your skin as you play, which leads to needing to stop to apply more lube.
How To Milk The Prostate Right
How to do it properly. It is very difficult as they may affect different diseases some of them are very dangerous, such as prostate cancer, which is known as a great influence on a large male population. In lesions warning in May, trying to trade in the prostate, which should be on a regular basis to work as a treatment.
Maybe turn the word sounds strange to you. This means that a massage in this region, we say, and this can be done independently, without external assistance. Heres how you do it correctly.
- First, in the area must be mitigated.
- Thus, to urinate or relax your intestines to eliminate the stress of the body.
- It is important to keep nails short and trim, in order to avoid the failure of the delicate skin inside your rectum.
- Hygiene is also very important. Wash your hands and body thoroughly.
- To make things easier to put the latex sterile gloves on his hands, you will use for milking your prostate. In addition, some water-based lubricant, resulting in some of your fingers.
- As a first step, slowly, introducing a finger or more into his anus. You must return, and then click to press a finger on the navel from the inside.
- You know, when you raised the prostate, where you will feel your fingers are small, round, that the lamp has a size of a large walnut.
- Now, when you find it, it starts slowly, massage with some waving people on both sides, and without pressing too hard on the central part of which is rich in nerve endings.
- Do not scratch with nails.
Don’t Miss: Prostate Cancer Surgery Recovery Period
Prostate Cancer Caregiver Podcast Series
We are proud to announce a new podcast series geared toward helping give support, hope and guidance to prostate cancer caregivers. The goal of this Prostate Cancer Caregiver Podcast Series is to help others connect with a diverse group of people who have felt the impact of prostate cancer in their lives and empower them on their journey.
How Do You Know If You Have Prostate Cancer
Theres no way of knowing if you have prostate cancer without visiting your doctor, as most men with early prostate cancer dont have any symptoms. And if you do have symptoms they can be caused by other things.
And you cant check for prostate cancer yourself.
You may want to speak to your GP if you’re over 50 , even if you don’t have any symptoms. These are all things that can increase your risk of prostate cancer. Your GP can give more information or tests if necessary.
If youre not sure about what to say to your GP, print and fill out this form and show it to them. This will help you have the conversation.
I thought I could be at risk after learning that African Caribbean men are more likely to get prostate cancer than white men.
You May Like: Prostate And Bladder Cancer Survival Rate
When Should You Call Your Doctor
- Are completely unable to urinate.
- Have painful urination and a fever higher than 38°C , chills, or body aches.
- Have blood or pus in your urine or semen.
- Weight loss.
- Dull, aching pain in your lower back, pelvis, or hips.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the groin area. These nodes are usually not tender.
Treatment For Metastatic Prostate Cancer
Treatment for prostate cancer that has spread to the bones and/or other organs in the body is aimed at relieving symptoms and slowing the cancer’s growth. Treatment may include:
- Hormone therapy to slow cancer growth.
- Radiation therapy to shrink tumours and ease pain.
- Chemotherapy to stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Surgery to remove blockages that are causing problems .
Read Also: How Can You Get Prostate Cancer
What Specialists Identify And Treat Prostate Cancer
There are several different types of specialists involved in the identification and treatment of prostate cancer.
How To Stimulate Prostate For Maximum Pleasure
There are a number of ways to achieve the goal. Here is how you should proceed for maximum effects.
Step 1: Prepare the Things That You Need
You need to pay attention to certain things before you even think of stimulating your prostate internally or externally. If you are have someone massaging it for you, then he/she should make the preparations. For instance:
- You should trim your nails and use a filer to get rid of any sharp edges. You will be using your finger to learn how to stimulate prostate and sharp nails can hurt your sensitive tissues.
- You should wash your hands thoroughly using an antiseptic solution to reduce the chances of infection.
- You should get a good quality lube and lubricate your hand properly. You may even consider lubricating the anus.
- You should spend some time massaging your perineum and anus from the outside before taking it to the next step.
Step 2: Prepare your Body and Sexual Organs
You need to understand that rushing through things may lead to complications. You need to be patient and always start with an external massage. The perineum, the area located between the anus sand the scrotum, should be massaged lighting from the outside. Even though you dont feel your prostate when massaging the perineum, youre still giving a massage to your prostate in an indirect way. Maintain a rhythmic, circular motion when massaging the anus it is fine to gently push on your anus without inserting your finger in for now.
Step 3: Find the Prostate
You May Like: When To Start Prostate Screening
Prostate Cancer And Your Sex Life: What You Should Know
While sex might not be the first thing in your mind when you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, it is something that you need to know about especially if you lead a sexually active life. You might feel awkward talking about your sex life with your doctor but it is important to do so.
When you get treated for prostate cancer, it can affect your sex life in various ways. You might lose interest in sex or you might just feel discomfort when you think of sex. Some men feel pain during ejaculation as well. All of these can hinder your ability to enjoy sex and this can affect your self-image and self-confidence.
You need to ask your doctor about the treatment that you will be receiving and how it will affect your sex life. You can ask questions such as the safety measures that you can take, which sex positions you should avoid, whether you can have sex with your partner daily, etc.
Whatever questions you have, just ask your doctor to be on the safe side. If you are unable to do that then you might want to speak to your counsellor first and then to your doctor so you dont feel awkward.
Using Medication To Reduce Symptoms
You May Like: What Can Cause Your Prostate To Swell