Should You Be Drinking More Green Tea
If you suffer from an enlarged prostate it can help to drink more water and to reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol. However, when it comes to drinks there is also one thats particularly beneficial if you suffer from this condition and thats green tea! You can find out more about this drink and why its so helpful in todays blog!
Dr. Jen Tan
How To Choose The Best Prostate Supplements
The best supplements for prostate are manufactured in an FDA-approved facility by renowned supplement companies. These supplements should be by the latest research on prostate health to ensure efficiency.
When searching for a prostate supplement, make sure to check manufacturer reliability, product safety, and ingredients list.
And speaking of ingredients, the more info provided, the better the chances you are dealing with a responsible manufacturer as clients deserve to know what exactly is in the bottle of supplements they are purchasing.
Foods High In Vitamin D
So, what vitamin D foods that shrink the prostate gland do we recommend?
Heres a list you can consider for your next visit to the grocery store:
- Salmon: 3 ounces provide your body with 647 IU of vitamin D, which is a lot. It also has omega 3 fatty acids that aid in the absorption of vitamin D. Other types of fish are excellent, too, including cod, tuna, and halibut.
- Soymilk: Regular milk has vitamin D when fortified, and soymilk is an alternative for vegetarians. It has up to 119 IU of vitamin D for each cup.
- Eggs: If you do not take out the yolk, you get a total of 118 IU of vitamin D for each cup of boiled eggs.
- Foods fortified with vitamin D: Other foods such as breakfast cereals and dairy are fortified with vitamin D. You can find fortified foods by looking at the labels.
Recommended Reading: Gnc Mega Men Prostate And Virility
How Can You Keep Your Prostate Healthy
There are effective treatments for benign prostatic hyperplasia. The problem is these treatments often cause side-effects. Dizziness and retrograde ejaculation are two possible side-effects. There are other problematic side-effects too.
A man may find that these side-effects are unpleasant. While all men are at risk, older men are more likely to develop an enlarged prostate. Men are looking for ways to reduce their symptoms without the side-effects of drugs used for BPH.
For some men, simply keeping their prostate healthy and disease-free is also important. Lets take a closer look at some of the most effective ways in which men can maintain a healthier prostate that functions well, stays small and does not cause any significant problems that could affect their everyday lives.
What Are The Symptoms Of Prostate Problems
The symptoms of a prostate problem may include problems with urinating and bladder control. Bladder control is how well you can delay, start, or stop urination. These problems can cause you to
- go to the bathroom frequently
- feel as if you need to rush to the bathroom, only to find you cant urinate or you urinate only a little
- leak or dribble urine
- have a weak urine stream
Depending on the cause of your prostate problems, you may have other symptoms.
You May Like: Prostate Cancer In African American Males
Overactive Bladder: Foods To Avoid
Certain drinks and foods are also important when it comes to overactive bladder. Some patients that come in to be seen are not aware that their second cup of coffee for the day could be irritating the lining of their bladder. Coffee could be worsening the symptoms of urinary frequency and urgency.
Bladder irritants can include:
- caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and soda
- carbonated beverages, such as soda and seltzer water
- citrus fruits and fruit juices
- dairy and
- spicy foods.
If you are experiencing overactive bladder, we recommend cutting back on things like caffeine, carbonated beverages, and the other items listed. You can also try an elimination diet. This involves cutting out all irritants, and slowly introducing them back into your diet one at a time to see which ones bother you the most.
Ways To Stay On Top Of Prostate Health
The nut-sized gland called the prostate lies between the base of your penis and your bladder. This small gland has a mighty job: It must produce the seminal fluid that carries your sperm into a partner and allows you to ejaculate.
When your prostate isnt healthy, you dont feel well, either. Although the most common condition that affects your prostate is benign prostatic hyperplasia , the most deadly is prostate cancer, which kills more than 34,000 men in the United States each year.
Because the prostate sits so near the bladder, if it gets too large it can interfere with your ability to urinate. Although BPH doesnt cause cancer, both BPH and prostate cancer have similar symptoms, including urinary incontinence, dribbling, and failure to void urine.
Prostate cancer is rare. However, BPH is common, with its risk increasing as you age.
Our physicians at Men’s T Clinic® are specialists in mens health. Thats why we encourage you to adopt the following five prostate-healthy lifestyle habits, no matter how old you are. And fortunately, prostate-healthy habits increase your overall health, too.
Read Also: What Is Stage 3 Prostate Cancer Mean
Are There Any Side Effects Of Prostate Supplements
If prostate health supplements are manufactured by certain manufacturing standards and with proven and safe ingredients, they should cause no adverse effects. This is mainly because most prostate supplements contain natural and herbal ingredients that were found to be safe for most users.
However, because the FDA doesnt regulate dietary supplements, their safety can only be guaranteed and tested by the manufacturers, and product safety can be highly questionable under such circumstances.
According to a meta-analysis of saw palmetto studies, supplements in this category are associated with a lower rate of erectile dysfunction, but a slightly higher rate of gastrointestinal symptoms, when compared to finasteride.
Questions You May Want To Consider Asking Your Doctor Include:
- What type of prostate problem do I have?
- Is more testing needed and what will it tell me?
- If I decide on watchful waiting, what changes in my symptoms should I look for and how often should I be tested?
- What type of treatment do you recommend for my prostate problem?
- For men like me, has this treatment worked?
- How soon would I need to start treatment and how long would it last?
- Do I need medicine and how long would I need to take it before seeing improvement in my symptoms?
- What are the side effects of the medicine?
- Are there other medicines that could interfere with this medication?
- If I need surgery, what are the benefits and risks?
- Would I have any side effects from surgery that could affect my quality of life?
- Are these side effects temporary or permanent?
- How long is recovery time after surgery?
- Will I be able to fully return to normal?
- How will this affect my sex life?
- How often should I visit the doctor to monitor my condition?
Don’t Miss: Almond Milk And Prostate Cancer
New Vitality Super Beta Prostate
Super Beta Prostate uses a two-pronged approach to shrinking your prostate and improving urinary function. The first is making sure you dont have any deficiencies in trace minerals like molybdenum, copper, or manganese.
The second is using a high dosage of phytosterols, including their active ingredient, beta sitosterol, a proven supplement for prostate health.
It doesnt have the wide range of herbal extracts youll find in VitaBalance Prostate Plus , but for many men, trace minerals and beta sitosterol are enough to improve their prostate function and health.
Thanks to its high-quality ingredients and strong reviews, its a smart choice.
What Drinks Are Bad For An Enlarged Prostate
Caffeine is inflammatory in nature, meaning itll likely make the problem of an enlarged prostate worse. Breakfast tea and coffee are the biggest culprits here but dont forget that many fizzy drinks and energy juices are also full of caffeine.
As I explained earlier in this piece, sugar can exacerbate any existing inflammation in the prostate gland so this gives further reason to avoid the likes of fizzy juice and energy drinks.
Another one to avoid if you have an enlarged prostate is alcohol. Again, this is inflammatory, though it also dehydrates us, drains our magnesium stores and increases the urge to urinate, all of which will make enlarged prostate symptoms more noticeable.
If youd like to know more about alcohol and an enlarged prostate then take a look at my blog How does alcohol affect an enlarged prostate?.
Also Check: Procedure To Check For Prostate Cancer
Aim For A Healthy Eating Pattern
Instead of focusing on specific foods, dietitians, physicians, and researchers tout an overall pattern of healthy eating and healthy eating is easier than you might think. In a nutshell, here’s what experts recommend:
Link Between Diet And Prostate
What a man eats affects how healthy their prostate is. This is something that too many men fail to recognize. Men often consume diets that are high in unhealthy ingredients. This includes excessive sugars, as well as saturated fats, among other ingredients.
There are different ways that diet can adversely affect the well-being of the prostate gland.
In one study4, researchers tried to see how nutrition is linked to prostate cancer. It has been established previously that poor nutritional decisions may adversely affect the body in many ways. This includes a risk of increasing low-grade inflammatory responses. There is also an increase in free radical damage and oxidation in the body.
The inflammation, oxidation, and free radicals may affect the prostate gland. With this in mind, it is obvious to link these poor dietary choices to conditions like prostate cancer.
The researchers behind the study confirm that evidence is currently limited. They do note that some factors have been identified. Increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids seems to slow the progression of prostate cancer. It may also be an effective preventative option.
The same findings were discovered in people who eat a diet that is rich in phytochemicals. These are natural chemicals that come from plant food sources.
Don’t Miss: Focal Laser Ablation Prostate Cancer Cost
Issues Concerning The Prostate Gland
Due to its location the prostate can affect urination and sexual functions.
- Prostatitis is an inflammation or infection which causes burning and pain during urination, the urgent need to urinate, and painful ejaculation.
- BPH or benign prostatic hyperplasia is the enlargement of the prostate. Men find it difficult to urinate because the prostate is pressing on the urethra. It is believed 75% of men over 60 suffer with this condition.
How Can Diet Affect Bph
Similar to prostate cancer, BPH is a multifactorial disease. Many hormones and growth factors act in the prostate tissue to cause enlargement. But some epidemiologic studies have also identified dietary factors associated with BPH.
For example, a study in China showed that overeating animal proteins could increase the risk.
Another study from Japan showed that regular milk consumption has the same effect. Thats why a plant-based diet is recommended for preventing prostate enlargement and reducing the number of prostate cancer cells
According to other research, Asian men have a lower incidence of BPH. Such a lower incidence responds to a high-fiber diet compared to Western men . But why is diet so important?
The amount and proportion of nutrients we take influences the function of the body. Among many other things, they modulate hormone concentrations. They also modulate the role of the sympathetic nervous system, which acts directly in the urethra. Thats why changing your diet can improve your urinary tract symptoms if you have them .
In this article, we will discuss 3 foods that shrink prostate gland. The following foods, nutrients and diets are recommended to shrink the size of the prostate gland. You can always look for food sources or prostate supplements that include them in the list of ingredients.
You May Like: Dying From Prostate Cancer What To Expect
How To Get A Green Tea Fix
Though most people would simply dunk green tea leaves into hot water and drink, not everybody enjoys the taste of green tea and so drinking three cups a day can be a bit of a struggle. To help you out weve come up with some ideas to sneak those precious leaves into your diet.
- Add a flavour you enjoy such as lemon or mint to your green tea
- Many tea companies such as Heath and Heathers have a variety of green teas that are infused with additional flavours to tickle your taste buds. You can explore this range over with our friends at Jan de Vries and if youre are looking for recommendations, Heath and Heathers Green Tea with Manuka Honey is a popular choice!
- Add some green tea into a smoothie and enjoy as a refreshing summers drink
- Incorporate green tea leaves into a marinade. The other marinade ingredients will overpower the flavour of green tea, but you will still benefit from the anti-oxidants
- Green tea is becoming a popular ingredient in cakes and puddings, and while over-indulging in sugary desserts is perhaps not the best piece of advice, if youre going to have a sweet treat, then one with green tea is a good option. You could poach fruits in green tea, particularly those high in vitamin C such as apples, for a great and tasty dessert that will improve prostate health.
Alcohol Won’t Worsen Prostate Symptoms
Urology Meeting: Drinking OK Low-Carb/High-Fat Diet Inhibits Prostate Cancer
May 22, 2006 – If you’re a drinker or an Atkins dieter, there’s good news for you from this week’s annual meeting of the American Urological Association in Atlanta.
Among the findings:
- Drinking alcohol — even more than six drinks a week — doesn’t make the symptoms of an enlarged prostate any worse. In fact, men who drink more than is otherwise good for them have fewer prostate symptoms and better sexual function than teetotalers.
- A low-carb/high-fat diet slows the growth of prostate tumor cells.
- America’s increasing rate of prostate cancercancer matches increasing consumption of meat, fats, and oils in prepared foods, ice cream, salad/cooking oil, margarine, and vegetable shortening.
How To Add More Legumes And Soybeans To Your Diet
To add more legumes and soybeans to your diet, consider swapping meat for plant protein in at least some meals. This could mean trying Meatless Mondays or moving toward a plant-based diet.
Try making a black bean burger with lots of veggies. Alternatively, homemade hummus made with blended chickpeas makes a delicious dip for vegetables or whole grain bread.
Finally, tofu is an excellent source of soy. Try flavoring tofu with sauces and baking it or browning it on the stove, or adding it to stir-fries.
How To Add More Green Tea To Your Diet
If you like the taste of green tea, start by drinking a cup each morning in place of your regular coffee.
If you prefer to skip caffeine, try a decaffeinated version. If you dont like warm tea, try cooling it in your refrigerator and adding ice for a refreshing beverage.
If you arent a fan of the taste, try using cooled green tea as the liquid in homemade smoothies, or adding green tea powder.
Also Check: What Surgery Is Done For Enlarged Prostate
Matcha Green Tea Latte
Matcha green tea gives you the same healthy compounds from green tea, but in a more concentrated form. This often means youre getting more antioxidants per serving.
Green tea and matcha both have a grassy flavor undertone that takes a little to get used to. However, matcha tends to have a rich and buttery flavor. This can make it delicious and easy to drink, much more so than green tea.
A matcha green tea latte is a great way to enjoy matcha powder. The drink isnt a latte in the traditional sense, as youre not using any coffee. Instead, youre using matcha powder and milk. Regular dairy milk could be used here, but many people turn to plant-based milk instead.
First Things First Of Self Prostate Milking
The best thing for you is to visit your doctor and he/she will explain you in details what you are supposed to do. That way you will get detail instructions what you must do.
Prostate milking will ease your pain in the prostate , improve your sexual performance and will better the blood flow in it. These are the main benefits from this procedure.
Don’t Miss: Prostate Cancer Check How Often