Get A Prostate Exam Each Year
As part of your annual mens health exam at Mens T Clinic®, our physicians check the health of your prostate. Every man receives a digital rectal exam . Yup, thats the awful test where a doctor sticks a gloved finger up your anus and you cough. But the awful test could save your life.
If youre between ages 55-69 or at high risk for prostate cancer, we may also recommend a prostate-specific antigen blood test to determine if your levels of PSA are within normal ranges. We may also advise you to get your first test at age 40 or so, to help establish a baseline normal value unique to you.
Show your prostate you care by contacting our Mens T Clinic®office that’s nearest you — in Dallas, Frisco, The Colony, Houston, Cypress, Pearland, Pasadena, Grapevine, and Spring, Texas. You can phone us or use the online booking form to set up a mens health consultation today.
You Might Also Enjoy…
The Prostate Is A Sexual Organ
The prostate gland functions as a sexual organ. The primary function of the prostate is to produce the fluid that nourishes the sperm, and the prostate muscles aid in the transport of the seminal fluid during ejaculation.
The prostate stimulates sexual activity and relies on testosterone to function. Nobody knows for certain what causes an enlarged prostate, but hormone imbalances are thought to be the root cause of prostate problems in men. In men, high estradiol levels can lead to increased prostate gland proliferation.
Natural Ways To Keep Your Prostate Healthy
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that sits between the bladder and the penis, just in front of the rectum. While there are factors that affect your prostate health that you cannot change , there are things you can do to promote prostate health. In this article, we discuss sevennatural waysto help keep yourprostate healthy.
You May Like: What’s The Survival Rate For Prostate Cancer
Black Bean Quinoa Salad With Sundried Tomatoes And Avocado Vinaigrette: A Recipe For Prostate Protection
Giving out a list of prostate cancer-fighting foods is helpful, but I want to take it a step further by combing some of the foods in a prostate protecting recipe. Time to put my chef coat on over my white coat and try to instill some evidence into a recipe.
I love tomatoesI eat them like my grandmother was from Tuscany, not Tuskegee. Aside from my love affair with tomatoes, I put them in them recipe because they are the most-studied source of lycopene. I decided to use sundried tomatoes because sundried tomatoes actually have higher amounts of lycopene than raw ones . Plus, sundried tomatoes add a meaty umami flavor to plant-based dishes. For those who dont work with sundried tomatoes often, taking them out of the jar is only preparation they require. The avocados and avocado oil also serve a specific purpose. A recent study demonstrated that avocados and avocado oil both enhance absorption of lycopene from tomatoes. The classic combination of avocado and tomato makes perfect sense from a taste perspective, but also from a scientific one. The carrots and the red peppers are both additional sources of lycopene. The beans, onions, and garlic add flavor and some extra prostate protection.
Exercise And Lose Weight
Exercising and losing weight are some of the best things you can do to promote prostate health. Many studies show that moderate or vigorous exercise reduces risk of BPH and urinary tract symptoms and helps with prostatitis as well. Exercise also benefits your cardiovascular health and can help prevent other health and sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction.
If you are overweight, losing weight is one of the most important natural changes you can make in improving your prostate health, whether your concerns are cancer, BPH or prostatitis. A study published in the Journal of Urology found that overweight men, especially men with a high amount of abdominal fat, have an increased risk of BPH. If you are looking to shrink the prostate, losing weight can help you reduce your prostate size and help relieve annoying and frustrating urinary symptoms. On top of that, weight loss can reduce your risk for prostate cancer and help relieve prostatitis, too.
You May Like: What To Eat For Prostate Health
Issues Concerning The Prostate Gland
Due to its location the prostate can affect urination and sexual functions.
- Prostatitis is an inflammation or infection which causes burning and pain during urination, the urgent need to urinate, and painful ejaculation.
- BPH or benign prostatic hyperplasia is the enlargement of the prostate. Men find it difficult to urinate because the prostate is pressing on the urethra. It is believed 75% of men over 60 suffer with this condition.
Diet & Exercise Tips For Prostate Health
“What can I eat to reduce my risk of developing prostate cancer?” This is one of the most common questions physicians hear from men concerned about prostate health. Undoubtedly, many hope that their doctor will rattle off a list of foods guaranteed to shield them from disease. Although some foods have been linked with reduced risk of prostate cancer, proof that they really work is lacking, at least for now.
Also Check: How To Reduce Prostate Swelling Naturally
Helps Get Rid Of Pesky Bacteria In The Bladder/urinary System
Urinary Tract Infections are some of the most common infections affecting people today, especially women.
According to recent studies, men older than 50 are more prone to UTIs because of an enlarged prostate.
Their shorter urethra makes it easier for organisms to travel up to the bladder and cause infection.
The antibacterial properties in this herbal extract make it an excellent disinfectant for your urinary system especially useful when youre prone to dealing with UTIs.
Foods High In Curcumin
In this case, we are talking about a spice instead of a nutrient. Thus, we do not have a long list of foods that contain curcumin. The primary source is turmeric, but you can also find curcumin as a powder in the market. Its what gives mustard its yellow color, too.
However, since the daily dose is rather high compared to what we usually have, we recommend using a supplement instead. Other ways you can increase your intake of curcumin is through one of these daily hacks:
- Turmeric smoothie: They taste great if you add whey powder, almond milk, peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder.
- Turmeric salad dressing: Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and any other spices that go along with the taste.
- Curry sauce recipes: Its an Indian sauce you can find already made in the market or do it yourself with turmeric, margarine, peanut oil, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cilantro, chili peppers, and yogurt.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Treat An Enlarged Prostate
How Can Diet Affect Bph
Similar to prostate cancer, BPH is a multifactorial disease. Many hormones and growth factors act in the prostate tissue to cause enlargement. But some epidemiologic studies have also identified dietary factors associated with BPH.
For example, a study in China showed that overeating animal proteins could increase the risk.
Another study from Japan showed that regular milk consumption has the same effect. Thats why a plant-based diet is recommended for preventing prostate enlargement and reducing the number of prostate cancer cells
According to other research, Asian men have a lower incidence of BPH. Such a lower incidence responds to a high-fiber diet compared to Western men . But why is diet so important?
The amount and proportion of nutrients we take influences the function of the body. Among many other things, they modulate hormone concentrations. They also modulate the role of the sympathetic nervous system, which acts directly in the urethra. Thats why changing your diet can improve your urinary tract symptoms if you have them .
In this article, we will discuss 3 foods that shrink prostate gland. The following foods, nutrients and diets are recommended to shrink the size of the prostate gland. You can always look for food sources or prostate supplements that include them in the list of ingredients.
Changes In Your Lifestyle Will Help You Support Your Prostate
- In general, a heart-healthy diet is beneficial to a mans prostate. This includes eating green, leafy vegetables, which are high in vitamins and antioxidants that are beneficial to your prostate.
- Exercise is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle, including prostate health. Continue to be active!
Also Check: Does Aspirin Help Enlarged Prostate
Saw Palmetto Oil Extract May Be Beneficial
Supplements derived from natural sources, such as saw palmetto oil extract, can aid in the maintenance of a healthy prostate and urinary function. Flomentum Saw Palmetto extract is the markets first and only USP Verified Saw Palmetto extract. This guarantees that you are receiving a pure, potent, and high-quality product.
Men have long used Saw Palmetto Oil Extract to support urinary and prostate health, including reducing frequent urination. However, choosing a high-quality Saw Palmetto supplement, such as Flomentum, is critical for seeing results.
The Best Foods For Prostate Health
The prostate gland is an integral part of the male reproductive system. About the size of a walnut, it continues to change and grow during a mans lifetime. Maintaining prostate health should be of maximum importance to all men if they want to lead a long and healthy life.
Lets look at three medical issues that can arise as a result of the prostate gland, and some recommendations for the best foods for prostate health.
Read Also: Prostate Cancer Surgery Recovery Period
Foods High In Vitamin D
So, what vitamin D foods that shrink the prostate gland do we recommend?
Heres a list you can consider for your next visit to the grocery store:
- Salmon: 3 ounces provide your body with 647 IU of vitamin D, which is a lot. It also has omega 3 fatty acids that aid in the absorption of vitamin D. Other types of fish are excellent, too, including cod, tuna, and halibut.
- Soymilk: Regular milk has vitamin D when fortified, and soymilk is an alternative for vegetarians. It has up to 119 IU of vitamin D for each cup.
- Eggs: If you do not take out the yolk, you get a total of 118 IU of vitamin D for each cup of boiled eggs.
- Foods fortified with vitamin D: Other foods such as breakfast cereals and dairy are fortified with vitamin D. You can find fortified foods by looking at the labels.
Eating To Reduce Your Prostate Cancer Risk
At any age, men can start a healthful diet and have a good chance of reducing the risk of getting prostate cancer. Remember other factors are also involved, and tumours of the prostate develop slowly over time.
- Add pasta sauce, ketchup, tomato paste to meals
Fruit and vegetables
- Eat plentifully for antioxidants and to help maintain a healthy weight
Meat, fat, dairy
- Vegetarianism is not compulsory but go easy on meat
- Keep processed and charred meats to an absolute minimum
- Dont overindulge in dairy products
- Haricot beans, chickpeas and lentils
- In moderation, if at all
- Drink water throughout the day
- Stay within a normal BMI
You May Like: Non Metastatic Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer
Prostate Problems Affect Over 30 Million Men
When it comes to prostate problems, age plays a role. It is estimated that well over 30 million men over the age of 50 in the United States have some form of prostate problem. The three most common types of prostate problems are:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia , also known as an enlarged prostate, is the most common problem in men over the age of 50. BPH affects more than 60% of men over the age of 60 and more than 80% of men over the age of 80. Urinary symptoms are frequently treated with dietary supplements such as Saw Palmetto oil extract, dietary changes, prescription medications, and surgery.
- Prostatitis is a painful inflammation of the prostate that primarily affects men under the age of 50. This condition affects only 8% of men and can be treated fairly quickly with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.
- Prostate cancer is more common in older men, with over 200,000 diagnoses each year. Every year, 30,000 men die as a result of the disease. It is estimated that more than half of men over the age of 70 have prostate cancer.
Natural Remedies For Enlarged Prostate
In addition to dietary changes, some natural remedies for enlarged prostate include:
Studies have shown that regular exercise can help to promote a healthy prostate.
Saw palmetto is an herbal remedy that has demonstrated efficacy for reducing enlarged prostate symptoms. Saw palmetto assists in slowing the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone, which is similar to most of the prostate medications on the market. It also has an anti-estrogenic effect, contains inflammation-cooling properties, and helps to relax the urinary tract. Its no wonder why it is so commonly used in supplements for BPH.
Nettle contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties, among others, and can help to relieve symptoms of BPH. It also works as a nice diuretic, taking stress off the prostate.
A 2014 study showed a reduction in BPH symptoms among participants after 12 months of treatment with pumpkin seed capsules. Another study also noted that pumpkin seed oil, as well as the combination of pumpkin seed oil with saw palmetto, may be an effective treatment for BPH. Pumpkin seeds also contain a ton of zinc, which is essential for proper prostate function. In fact, low levels have been linked to prostate cancer.
You May Like: What Kind Of Pain Does Prostate Cancer Cause
Lentil Walnut Bolognese With Spaghetti
This recipe was specially crafted to support cancer prevention and survival. It adheres to . Learn more about our .
Tomato products provide just the right amount of pizzazz to pasta recipes, such as this hearty, plant-based spaghetti dish. The deep red color of tomatoes is a calling card for lycopenethe plant compound linked with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. In fact, lycopene is better absorbed by the body in its cooked form, such as cooked pasta sauce, canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Including this healthy plant food in your diet more often is linked with prostate cancer protection. Eating more pulsesbeans, lentils, dried peasis a healthy, cancer-fighting strategy, too. In this easy, one-dish meal, you swap out a traditional meat-based sauce for a tomato, lentil and walnut Bolognese sauce over spaghetti.
Written for AICR and California Walnut Commission by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian, who is a plant-based food and nutrition expert, journalist, and blogger
A Guide To Superfoods For A Healthy Prostate In Men
In our opinion, the best treatment will always be prevention! This rings especially true when it comes to preventing almost every type of urological issue like urinary incontinence, urinary tract infections, low testosterone and sperm count, kidney stones, and prostate concerns.
Did you know, eating well could significantly reduce your risk against prostate problems? An enlarged prostate is extremely common in older men and can have adverse health symptoms. Even worse, it may lead to prostate cancer, which is one of the most common cancers among men.
In this blog post, we are going over why a proper diet consisting of superfoods for a healthy prostate is essential for men. Plus, we will share some easy ideas on how you can make sure you are eating these six superfoods every day.
Recommended Reading: What Vitamins To Take For Prostate Health
What The Research Says
A recent study has also evaluated a possible connection. The authors explored the link between prostate enlargement and vitamin D. They did it through the hormone testosterone. Their results show that higher vitamin D levels in the blood reduce the PSA levels. They also hypothesize that testosterone levels and function depend on vitamin D status. If thats the case, low vitamin D levels would also have a hormonal consequence that explains BPH and BPH symptoms .
Other studies explored a more direct association between the prostate tissue and vitamin D. Interestingly the prostate epithelial cells can activate vitamin D. Moreover, these cells have a vitamin D receptor, even prostate cancer cells. Upon binding, vitamin D sends signals to control the proliferation of cells.
Side Effects And Nutrition
Cancer treatment often causes side effects, such as nausea, mouth sores, and taste changes that may make it difficult to eat or drink. Follow these tips to help you get the nutrition you need:
- If water tastes unpleasant to you, take in more liquid though items such as soup, tea, milk or milk substitutes such as almond milk, or a sports drink. Or, flavor your water by adding fresh cut fruit.
- If food tastes bland, try seasoning it with flavorful spices such as garlic, cayenne, dill, and rosemary.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day instead of trying to eat large amounts of food at one time.
- Enhance your protein intake with protein from foods such as fish, egg whites, cheese, beans, or high protein smoothies.
- Suck on mints, chew on gum, or try fresh citrus fruits if you have a metallic taste in your mouth. Brushing your teeth before eating, using plastic utensils, and cooking in glassware can also help.
- If you have mouth sores or a gum infection, use a blender to make vegetables and meats smooth. Try juicing or making smoothies.Some side effects are often treated with medication, so talk with your doctor or another member of your health care team for more information.
Also Check: Homeopathic Treatment For Prostate Cancer